Middlehead Cottage at Cropton Forest was originally built as Middle Head Farm, built around 1850. The farm consisted of the farmhouse and outbuildings, formed around a central courtyard.
In the mid 1960's, the farm was used by schools as an outdoor pursuit centre. In 1975, Humberside City Council took a lease on the property and redeveloped the cowsheds that were at the back of the farm to the stone and pantile accommodation block (this building has now been split up into three cottages: Brock Cottage, Meadow's Edge & Willows' End). Middlehead is currently our only pet friendly cottage.
The building was further extended in 1983 to provide a commercial kitchen, large dining room, lounge and lecture rooms.
The Centre, known as Middlehead Outdoor Pursuit Centre, became a very popular place for schoolchildren and instructors alike, having a full assault course,a purpose built climbing wall,cycling,canoeing,orienteering and a whole host of activities..accommodating up to 60 children and 12 full time staff... the place is a lot quieter these days!
The Centre saw celebrities such as Hunter and Cobra from TVs 'Gladiators' here, and we have had many guests and visitors who came here as children and all had great memories!
In 2005, we opened for guests, offering a considerably more peaceful and comfortable accommodation than the bunk rooms and communal showers we started with - but hopefully still offering as much fun and enjoyment!